Puppy Chow


This puppy chow is without a doubt in the top five recipes that I make for my family each year.  Everyone in our household loves this sweet snack. 
I have tried different variations of this recipe, but this is our favorite.

You will need:
Chex cereal (rice, peanut butter, or chocolate)
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 stick margarine or butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar

This is our favorite puppy chow bowl. 
I make the puppy chow in this bowl, and then store it in this same bowl.
You need a large bowl with a lid to shake the mix at the end.
Go ahead and measure out the 9 cups of Chex Cereal and put in this bowl and set aside.

Place the peanut butter, chocolate chips, and margarine in a microwave safe bowl. 
Microwave on high 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until smooth, stirring after 1 minute.

Stir in vanilla.
I always forget this part.
The vanilla is what makes this recipe my favorite.

Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal.
Stir carefully from the bottom of the bowl, trying to keep the cereal from breaking apart.
It will not seem like the cereal will become coated with the chocolate, but just keep stirring.

See..eventually all the cereal will be coated.

Now, sprinkle the powdered sugar over the mix, add the lid and shake the bowl until all the cereal is coated with powdered sugar.
I used to add a little extra powdered sugar, but I have learned that the amount in the recipe is just right.

I have always made this with Rice Chex Cereal or even Crispix Cereal, but recently I have been using the peanut butter and the chocolate varieties of Chex Cereal.
That variation is now our favorite.

This mix is really good to give as a gift.  
You can package in a plastic container or a jar and add ribbon or other decorations.


Comments

Popular Posts