Fried Apple Pies

So...I decided it was time to teach my daughter how to make fried pies.  Sadly enough...she is 13, and she had never before seen me make fried pies.
There are several ways to make fried pies, but this is the way I was taught.


I start by covering my dried apples with water and cooking over medium heat on the stove.  I use store bought dried apples.  When I was a little girl, we would dry our own.


The apples will quickly plump up.  Put a lid on the pot and continue to check on them and stir.  You will want to cook them until they "mush up".  You may need to add more water as they cook.
When the apples are ready, add sugar and vanilla to your taste.  I added about 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla to these.

While the apples are cooking, prepare the crust.  Measure and sift:
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon salt


Cut in 1/2 cup Crisco


Gently stir in 1/3 cup milk.


Now comes the fun part.
Prepare your dough board by covering with plain flour.

Roll out a small piece of dough and use a small plate to cut out a pie pastry.


Add about 1/2 cup of the prepared fruit filling to one side of the crust.


Fold the crust over and use a fork to flute the edges.


Poke a few holes in one side.


You'll want to have your Crisco preheated in a skillet on medium heat before you add the pies.  I fry my pies in Crisco shortening.


Lightly brown the pies on both sides.


I always wipe the skillet with paper towels before I fry the next two pies.


Here are the first two pies cooling on paper towels.
I made two recipes of the crust to match up with the amount of filling that I had.

Making fried pies is not an easy task.
It is definitely worth the trouble.
Enjoy!!!

(Next, I will be sharing my recipe for chocolate fried pies.  Stay tuned...)



Comments

Unknown said…
can i use fresh apples?
Faith W said…
I used fresh apples and it turned out perfect! You won't need to add any water to the pan as the natural juices from the apples will be released, keeping them from drying out. I added sugar and a little cinnamon to my taste.
Marian said…
Sounds delicious and I’ll try making them ! Yes

Popular Posts