Old Fashioned Potato Salad


One of my favorite things to see when I open my refrigerator door is a bowl of potato salad. 
Potato salad is such a wonderful side item to make ahead and eat on for a few days, or to make ahead for company or to take to a covered dish dinner. 


I typically start with 8 potatoes chopped into small cubes. 
This is the perfect size cube. 
Nobody likes potato salad with big pieces of potatoes. 


Cover the potatoes with water and boil on medium until the potatoes are fork tender. 
While the potatoes are boiling, boil 6 eggs (I boil mine about 5 minutes.), and begin chopping the other ingredients. 


If you’re lucky enough to have a brother that makes really good Chunk Sweet Pickles, chop some pickles into very small pieces. We like sweet pickles in potato salad. Some people prefer dill. 



Do the same with the white sweet onion. 
Chop very fine. I typically use about 1/4 of a large onion. 


Once the eggs are done, cooked , and peeled, chop them the same way. 


The real secret to potato salad is draining the potatoes and then allowing them to cool before adding the other ingredients. This is what keeps the potatoes together and keeps them from becoming mushy. 


After adding all the chopped ingredients, add salt and pepper to taste and then add about 3/4 cup mayonnaise and a couple tablespoons of mustard.
 Really all of this is to your taste. 
I also add some pickle juice from the jar!
Stir it all up.  


Potato salad can be eaten warm, but I like it best cold from the refrigerator!
Enjoy!

Comments

Cuba said…
I appreciate the balance of expertise and relatability in your content.

Popular Posts