Green Beans



It 's a known fact that all green beans are not created equal.
My Grandmother's green beans were by far my favorite ever.
I am pretty sure they were blue lake variety grown in her garden.
She seasoned her beans with cooking oil.

I am not particular about the type of green beans that I cook.
I have cooked blue lake and half-runner.
I have cooked French style, cut, shelly and flat.
Of course the best green beans are straight from the garden that you pick and break yourself, but those are hard to get these days, unless your sister has a garden!

Whatever the variety, I typically cook green beans the same way with a few minor variations.

If using beans from a can, pour the beans in a sauce pot.  I usually add a little more water.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
I add a slice of bacon or about a tablespoon of cooking oil to season the beans.
Sometimes, I add a small piece of onion to add extra flavor.

I will bring the beans to a boil, add a lid, and reduce the heat to medium-low.  Then I let the beans cook for a while as I prepare the rest of my meal.  I would say they cook for about 30 minutes.  I don't stir them as they cook, but I do watch them to be sure the water has not cooked out completely or they will scorch.

If there is still a lot of water on the beans when I am ready to serve, I will pour most of the water off and return them to the eye to for a couple of minutes.  I don't like for there to be water in the bowl when I serve the beans.

I am sure I was made to eat my green beans when I was little, but I have to admit as I get older, they are becoming one of my favorite things to eat at mealtime.

Enjoy!






Comments

Popular Posts