Old Fashioned Banana Bread

What to do when you have overripe bananas???
Make Banana Bread...of course.
 
I found this recipe in a file of older recipes from a lady I dearly admired growing up.
I decided to try it, and I have concluded that I will indeed use it again.
 
You will need:
3 cups sugar
1/2 pound butter or margarine
4 eggs
8 Tablespoons buttermilk
2 teaspoons soda
4 cups plain flour
6 or 7 ripe bananas
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

 Begin by creaming together the sugar, butter, and eggs.

Then, alternately add the buttermilk and flour/soda.
Mix well after each addition.
I usually do not keep buttermilk; I make my own using whole milk and a splash (1/2 teaspoon) of vinegar.

 Mash the overripe bananas with a fork.
I only had 4 bananas, so that is how many I used.

 Add the bananas to the batter and mix well.
 
Prepare the pan for baking.
You can use a tube pan or two loaf pans.
I like to use Pam for Baking to prepare my pan.
 
 Pour the batter into the pan.
This batter looks yummy.
 
 The directions say to bake 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
I will shorten this baking time the next time I use this recipe by at least 20 minutes. 
 
You can tell from the picture the cake is very brown.  It was not burnt, and definitely tasted delicious.
I think it would be even better, if I shorten the baking time.
 
The recipe did not call for nuts, and I did not add them.  If you really like nuts in your banana bread, then by all means add some. 

 I did add a little sprinkling of powdered sugar just for fun.
 

Of course, this banana bread also freezes well.
Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts