Pound Cake

When I was growing up, my best friend had the neatest Grandmother.
Now, let me just say...I had the world's best Grandmother.  I would put my Grandma up against anybody's anyday...I miss her greatly.
But my friend had the next best Grandmother.
She always made me feel so welcome in her home.

And, she could cook.
I will always think of her as trying new things first.
It was at her house that I ate pizza for the first time...homemade.
It was at her house that I ate tacos for the first time.  I thought those tacos were the best thing I had ever tasted.

When I got married...almost 25 years ago, her daughter gave me a recipe box that contained some of Ms. Vesta's recipes.  Although I have used most of these recipes several times, there was one that I had never tried that was for a pound cake.

I decided to try it this week.
While I was mixing up the cake, I became concerned that there were no eggs, no baking soda or baking powder in this cake...I was doubting the cake.
I continued to doubt after it was done...because, as you can see in the picture, it did not rise very much.
I cut up the cake into pieces and put it in a tupperware container thinking it would never be eaten.

The next day...I noticed over half the cake was missing.  I soon learned my son was the culprit. 
He proclaimed this cake as one of the best he had ever eaten.  How could I have doubted Ms. Vesta???
The cake is now gone, and I continue to crave another piece.


You will need:
2 sticks butter or oleo (butter is recommended)
1/4 cup Crisco
3 cups sugar
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sweet milk
1 Tablespoon vanilla (or 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1 teaspoon almond)


Let the butter or oleo soften and then beat well.


Beat in the sugar.


Add the liquids alternating with the flour, beating well...end with flour.

Pour into a well greased and floured bundt pan and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until done.

Enjoy!!!



Comments

Candy said…
Joyce......

The recipe alone brought back memories of MY grandmother. She always used the term 'sweet' milk too. We don't usually use that term for milk anymore. THANKS FOR THE RECIPE. Must be good since it disappeared so quickly.

Popular Posts