Chocolate Gravy

When my husband and I were dating, his mother  served chocolate gravy one night for supper.  I had never even heard of chocolate gravy before.  The sound of gravy that was chocolate seemed horrible to me.  But let me just say, it was one of the best things I have ever eaten. 

Chocolate gravy is a southern tradition.  I have adapted this version that is a little different from my mother-in-laws.  Because chocolate gravy can be made diffferent ways, I still love it when she makes it for us.


You will need:
3/4 cup sugar
1 heaping tablespoon plain flour
1 heaping tablespoon cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla


Mix sugar, flour, and cocoa. 



I usually use a wire whisk to mix the dry ingredients, and continue to whisk after adding the water and milk.



Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickens.  Remove from heat and add
butter and vanilla.



Serve warm over hot biscuits and butter!!!
Enjoy this Southern chocolate gravy.
Tidy Mom


Comments

This is my middle daughters favorite. I can make it, but not well, I will have to try your recipe. Funny about chocolate gravy, I had never heard of it till my girls started school.

Popular Posts